‘Nobody with money and resources’ wants to work with Trump’s colonial Board of ‘Peace’

The future of Donald Trump’s colonial Board of ‘Peace’ project looks uncertain after many of the countries that had promised to invest failed to do so.
On May 15, the Board of Peace [claimed](https://www.theguardian.com/world/2026/may/20/donald-trump-gaza-reconstruction-promises-stall) that the main obstacle to Trump’s plan for Gaza was Hamas’ refusal to disarm and give up control of the strip.
However, several people close to the Board have claimed that funding shortfalls may jeopardise the project.
The United Nations (UN) has [estimated](https://www.un.org/unispal/document/unog-press-briefing-14oct25/) that the total cost of rebuilding Gaza will exceed $70bn over several decades.
Trump out of touch
------------------
In total, nine countries [pledged](https://www.theguardian.com/world/2026/may/20/donald-trump-gaza-reconstruction-promises-stall) $7bn to a ‘Gaza Relief’ package at the inaugural meeting. However, only the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Morocco have actually sent funds.
Several countries which initially pledged money are now reluctant to pay due to months of “stalled diplomacy” and no progress on the ground.
One source told the [*Guardian*](https://www.theguardian.com/world/2026/may/20/donald-trump-gaza-reconstruction-promises-stall) that:
> The Iran war has provided cover for delays to payments.
In total, Trump’s group has only received $23m, alongside a $100m payment to fund a future Palestinian police force. The project has received only 1.75% of the money it was promised. Trump looks a little foolish now.
Another source told the *[Guardian](https://www.theguardian.com/world/2026/may/20/donald-trump-gaza-reconstruction-promises-stall):*
> Nobody with money and resources wants to work with the Board of Peace.
>
> Lump on the conflict with Iran, and the people with deep pockets now have an excuse not to pay.
Hilariously, even the billions in US funding that Trump himself pledged have not been paid.
The *Guardian* [reported](https://www.theguardian.com/world/2026/may/20/donald-trump-gaza-reconstruction-promises-stall) that:
> When the ceasefire deal for Gaza was agreed in October last year, critics and US allies warned it was dangerously vague on the fraught details of reconstruction, governance and security for Gaza. It called for an international force to secure Gaza, paving the way for reconstruction, an aid surge, the demilitarisation of Hamas and a full withdrawal of Israeli forces.
>
> More than half a year on there is no international force or any actionable plans to create one. Israeli forces still control well over half of Gaza. They limit critical shipments of food and other aid.
Disarming Hamas
---------------
One of the sticking points to Trump’s faux ‘peace’ plan is the disarmament of Hamas, which, of course, it does not accept.
Hamas and Israel agreed on a ‘ceasefire’ in October 2025, but Israel has never adhered to it. The Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) agreed to withdraw behind a designated ‘yellow line’. However, since then, it has pushed the line back several kilometres. A ‘ceasefire’ also means not shooting or bombing people – Israel obviously could not stick to that, either.
Hamas, [rightfully, insists](https://www.leftvoice.org/the-board-of-peace-shows-trumps-imperialist-ambitions-for-gaza/) on a total cessation of aggression and the lifting of Israel’s blockade.
Of course, this is incredibly two-faced. Israel does not allow Palestinians, Iranians, or Lebanese people to defend themselves. And, if they dare do so, the West labels them as terrorists. Meanwhile, Israel can continue invading, occupying, and murdering without punishment.
Hamas was formed after Israel illegally occupied Palestine. It was founded in Gaza in 1987, shortly after the first Intifada started.
Its goal is to:
> liberate Palestine and confront the Zionist project.
One of the group’s [founding principles](https://www.thecanary.co/opinion/2026/03/12/israel-arming-settlers/) is liberating Palestine and resisting the illegal Israeli occupation.
According to the [United Nations](https://www.un.org/unispal/document/auto-insert-185486/), armed resistance is not illegal. In fact, every person living in occupied territories [has that right](https://www.thecanary.co/opinion/2026/03/12/israel-arming-settlers/).
Meanwhile. Israel is [actively arming](https://www.thecanary.co/opinion/2026/03/12/israel-arming-settlers/) illegal Jewish settlers, and the IOF is still murdering civilians.
A colonial project
------------------
The Board of Peace demonstrates how ingrained colonialism is in the minds of white people.
To start with, many of the Board’s members are from nations that are [complicit](https://www.leftvoice.org/the-board-of-peace-shows-trumps-imperialist-ambitions-for-gaza/) in Israel’s genocides in both Gaza and Lebanon.
The Board has not given Palestinians a voice or a vote, meaning the whole thing could not be more imperialist in nature.
Why would any real peace plan let Netanyahu – a genocidal maniac – have any say in the future of a country that he himself has destroyed?
One board member, Marc Rowan, CEO of Apollo Global Management, [claimed](https://www.leftvoice.org/the-board-of-peace-shows-trumps-imperialist-ambitions-for-gaza/) that Gaza’s coastline alone could be worth $50bn. This tells us that this whole colonial project is nothing more than a wet dream of capitalist vultures. Rich men get richer while Palestinians suffer.
There is no doubt that Trump, Netanyahu, and their Zionist pals will use the Board of ‘Peace’ to continue the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians, whilst importing even more Zionist settlers onto stolen land.
*Featured image via [Ahmad Hasaballah/Getty Images](https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/an-aerial-view-of-damage-to-homes-following-israeli-news-photo/2148520858?adppopup=true)*
By [The Canary](https://www.thecanary.co/author/thecanary/)
---
**From [Canary](https://www.thecanary.co/feed) via [This RSS Feed](https://www.thecanary.co/feed).**
The future of Donald Trump’s colonial Board of ‘Peace’ project looks uncertain after many of the countries that had promised to invest failed to do so.
On May 15, the Board of Peace [claimed](https://www.theguardian.com/world/2026/may/20/donald-trump-gaza-reconstruction-promises-stall) that the main obstacle to Trump’s plan for Gaza was Hamas’ refusal to disarm and give up control of the strip.
However, several people close to the Board have claimed that funding shortfalls may jeopardise the project.
The United Nations (UN) has [estimated](https://www.un.org/unispal/document/unog-press-briefing-14oct25/) that the total cost of rebuilding Gaza will exceed $70bn over several decades.
Trump out of touch
------------------
In total, nine countries [pledged](https://www.theguardian.com/world/2026/may/20/donald-trump-gaza-reconstruction-promises-stall) $7bn to a ‘Gaza Relief’ package at the inaugural meeting. However, only the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Morocco have actually sent funds.
Several countries which initially pledged money are now reluctant to pay due to months of “stalled diplomacy” and no progress on the ground.
One source told the [*Guardian*](https://www.theguardian.com/world/2026/may/20/donald-trump-gaza-reconstruction-promises-stall) that:
> The Iran war has provided cover for delays to payments.
In total, Trump’s group has only received $23m, alongside a $100m payment to fund a future Palestinian police force. The project has received only 1.75% of the money it was promised. Trump looks a little foolish now.
Another source told the *[Guardian](https://www.theguardian.com/world/2026/may/20/donald-trump-gaza-reconstruction-promises-stall):*
> Nobody with money and resources wants to work with the Board of Peace.
>
> Lump on the conflict with Iran, and the people with deep pockets now have an excuse not to pay.
Hilariously, even the billions in US funding that Trump himself pledged have not been paid.
The *Guardian* [reported](https://www.theguardian.com/world/2026/may/20/donald-trump-gaza-reconstruction-promises-stall) that:
> When the ceasefire deal for Gaza was agreed in October last year, critics and US allies warned it was dangerously vague on the fraught details of reconstruction, governance and security for Gaza. It called for an international force to secure Gaza, paving the way for reconstruction, an aid surge, the demilitarisation of Hamas and a full withdrawal of Israeli forces.
>
> More than half a year on there is no international force or any actionable plans to create one. Israeli forces still control well over half of Gaza. They limit critical shipments of food and other aid.
Disarming Hamas
---------------
One of the sticking points to Trump’s faux ‘peace’ plan is the disarmament of Hamas, which, of course, it does not accept.
Hamas and Israel agreed on a ‘ceasefire’ in October 2025, but Israel has never adhered to it. The Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) agreed to withdraw behind a designated ‘yellow line’. However, since then, it has pushed the line back several kilometres. A ‘ceasefire’ also means not shooting or bombing people – Israel obviously could not stick to that, either.
Hamas, [rightfully, insists](https://www.leftvoice.org/the-board-of-peace-shows-trumps-imperialist-ambitions-for-gaza/) on a total cessation of aggression and the lifting of Israel’s blockade.
Of course, this is incredibly two-faced. Israel does not allow Palestinians, Iranians, or Lebanese people to defend themselves. And, if they dare do so, the West labels them as terrorists. Meanwhile, Israel can continue invading, occupying, and murdering without punishment.
Hamas was formed after Israel illegally occupied Palestine. It was founded in Gaza in 1987, shortly after the first Intifada started.
Its goal is to:
> liberate Palestine and confront the Zionist project.
One of the group’s [founding principles](https://www.thecanary.co/opinion/2026/03/12/israel-arming-settlers/) is liberating Palestine and resisting the illegal Israeli occupation.
According to the [United Nations](https://www.un.org/unispal/document/auto-insert-185486/), armed resistance is not illegal. In fact, every person living in occupied territories [has that right](https://www.thecanary.co/opinion/2026/03/12/israel-arming-settlers/).
Meanwhile. Israel is [actively arming](https://www.thecanary.co/opinion/2026/03/12/israel-arming-settlers/) illegal Jewish settlers, and the IOF is still murdering civilians.
A colonial project
------------------
The Board of Peace demonstrates how ingrained colonialism is in the minds of white people.
To start with, many of the Board’s members are from nations that are [complicit](https://www.leftvoice.org/the-board-of-peace-shows-trumps-imperialist-ambitions-for-gaza/) in Israel’s genocides in both Gaza and Lebanon.
The Board has not given Palestinians a voice or a vote, meaning the whole thing could not be more imperialist in nature.
Why would any real peace plan let Netanyahu – a genocidal maniac – have any say in the future of a country that he himself has destroyed?
One board member, Marc Rowan, CEO of Apollo Global Management, [claimed](https://www.leftvoice.org/the-board-of-peace-shows-trumps-imperialist-ambitions-for-gaza/) that Gaza’s coastline alone could be worth $50bn. This tells us that this whole colonial project is nothing more than a wet dream of capitalist vultures. Rich men get richer while Palestinians suffer.
There is no doubt that Trump, Netanyahu, and their Zionist pals will use the Board of ‘Peace’ to continue the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians, whilst importing even more Zionist settlers onto stolen land.
*Featured image via [Ahmad Hasaballah/Getty Images](https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/an-aerial-view-of-damage-to-homes-following-israeli-news-photo/2148520858?adppopup=true)*
By [The Canary](https://www.thecanary.co/author/thecanary/)
---
**From [Canary](https://www.thecanary.co/feed) via [This RSS Feed](https://www.thecanary.co/feed).**