LIVE
Loading live headlines…
Home Trending World Technology Entertainment Gaming Sports Music Science Lifestyle Business About Contact
c/world by u/MicroWave 2w ago theguardian.com

Shipping firms question safety in strait of Hormuz despite Trump plan

123 upvotes 8 comments
***Trump says US navy will ‘guide’ stranded ships out of waterway but report says warship was hit by Iran***

The world’s shipping industry has questioned whether vessels will be able to travel safely to and from the Gulf after Donald Trump announced his latest plan to open the strait of Hormuz.

Trump wrote on Monday that the US navy would “guide” stranded ships out of the waterway, writing on his social media site Truth Social that the operation, “Project Freedom”, would be a humanitarian gesture “on behalf of the United States, Middle Eastern Countries but, in particular, the Country of Iran”.

But within hours Iran’s Fars news agency reported a US warship intending to pass through the strait had been hit by two missiles and turned back after ignoring an Iranian warning. The US denied its ship had been hit. Brent crude rose more than 5% a barrel to $114.45 amid reports that the United Arab Emirates was responding to a missile threat and a fire on a South Korean vessel in the Gulf.
Visit source Open discussion